Monday, August 4, 2008

Reality Check

So, I am writing from a very heavy place tonight. Its 1:30 am here. I have to wake up in 6 hours and I cant sleep. I have so much on my mind. As amazing as it is living in South Africa its also very difficult too. There is so much going on politically here. I dont know how much exposure the States is getting to the crisis in Zimbabwe and the Xenophobic attacks that happened here in South Africa, but these issues are huge here. People have been fleeing their countries especially Zim for safety. I mean Mugabe and his government are really just killing people. The stories of torture and rape and all kind of violence is unbelieveable. So, these people flee to South Africa for safety and are being burned alive and attacked my locals in the townships. My God, it is so sad. So, "refugee camps" have been set up around Jo'burg and Cape Town etc. for these people because they have been chased out of the townships and all their property and belongings were stolen. I went to a discussion the other day where some refugees spoke about their experiences and its been heavy on my mind ever since. I feel so helpless. I signed up to try and do some volunteer work at ther refugee camps but I feel like what I really need to do is go and talk to Mugabe himself. I know that sounds irrational, and it is, but I mean, we are all human. And at the core of all human kind is love. There's got to be a way to free that man from fear and jealousy and greed which is what is driving him to do all these awful things and speak to him in love. Robert Mugabe just like everyone else needs to be loved! You see, when people do things even as awful as massive genocides like he is doing hate is no the answer. Hate fosters hate. If we resond to hateful behavior with hate we will just create more hate. The only way to free and heal Zimbabwe is through love. No I am not a politician or an expert or anything, but this is what I know to be true. Everyone, the whole world needs to learn to operate in love. Awful things like whats happening here now wouldnt be if we could just do that. I've got to do something to help. It's not right, or loving, for me to reside in this beautiful country and just allow all of these awful things happen to innocent people around me. I just pray that God bless Zimbabwe and somehow these people are freed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Brittanie,
we all miss you here at the shield the kids were so happy to hear from you that day. i can not believe that the states refuses to recognize such disaster and continue with just our normal lives.(i thought i had it bad here stressing about rent and other needs and issues.) I hope that you find your inspiration that you did to help our children with the refugees there in Capetown. I wish you the best and i miss you alot alot alot.
Love Always
Kathleen

Imperfect Serenity said...

Dear Brittanie,

What a moving post. I absolutely agree that Mugabe and others who commit atrocities need to be seen as human. If not, it just perpetuated the cycle of violence. That is one of the reasons I am a Quaker--we beleive there is "that of God" in everyone, and that reaching it is the best way to fight violence, rather than guns. We also beleive that one person can make a difference, though it is also important to recognize the limits of what you can do alone.

In general, you can do much more working with a group of like-minded people. I am sure there must be South Africans who share your concerns. Here is a link to a peace center I'm aware of in Captetown. I'm sure there must be others as well, maybe student groups or something. You might find it comforting to find out what they are doing.

Brandon C. said...

Wow...That is some deep shit homie! Funny, how you've only been there for like a month and alreay you're being exposed to all this craziness. God granted you this oppurtunity for a reason, so you make sure you keep your eyes open, and your heart stayed on him! I miss you!