Saturday, September 6, 2008

the blog i never finished.... september vac

So, this week was September vac, basically what we know as spring break. We had a total of 10 days off. Today was the ninth. That 9 days FLEW by. I really wish we had just one more week. I feel like I was so busy the whole time I barely had anytime to just rest and enjoy myself. But, enough complaining because these past nine days have been very busy, but also very fun. I didnt get too upset about having to miss the Botswana trip because I knew that I needed to stay here and do what my heart was leading me to do anyways... help people. Everyday I walk out of my front door and the first thing I see is people sleeping on the streets. I walk to school and see the women coming into the suburbs from the townships to work as domestic workers to try and feed their families. I finally get to school and hear my friends stories of where they come from and what living in poverty is really like. I finally come home, open up my computer or look at the paper on the kitchen table and there's always a new story of impoverished people and the AIDS crisis or the crisis in Zim or some other horrifying thing happening right under my nose. So, i decided to help do somethong about it. During school I tend to get very busy. The theatre program here is no joke. Its so much work. So, I can usually only do volunteer work on Saturdays. But, during this vac I took advantage of my free time. I volunterred at two places. The first place is the TAC (treatment action campaign). It is an orginization that deals with the HIV/AIDS crisis in Khayalitsha. Khayalitsha is a township outside of Cape Town. It is the second largest township in South Africa after Soweto. So, I volunteered there on Tuesday. On Wednesday I volunteered at a day care center called Khumbalani day care center also in Khyalitsha. They take care of young children who are infected/affected by HIV/AIDS.

No comments: