Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Prisilla's Home Care Orphanage

So, the schools are out for a two week holiday because of Easter so I haven’t been working at the school for the past week and a half. So instead I’ve been working at the orphanage. I arrive at 10am each morning and stay until about 1 or 2. My experience at the orphanage has been so much more pleasant than I expected. I mean, I have a really great time there. Yes, I do get sad at times, but I just focus on the bright innocence in their eyes that only children have and it keeps me smiling and focused on the positive. The fact that I am actually DOING helps too. I mean, I do a little bit of everything there from cleaning, to cooking (yes, cooking), to feeding kids, to changing their diapers, everything. And it really helps the workers there so much. The fact that I see how much we are not only benefiting the children but the workers too makes me feel good inside. Also everyday Pastor Vusi has sent a team of young people to help along with me as well as Natalie (his sister, my personal translator). Even they are benefiting from this. They had no idea how much their community needs their help until they were brought into this situation. So it’s a whole cycle of just growing and learning and love and compassion. It’s a beautiful experience.
And guys, these kids are a TRIP hahaha!! They have such fiery and distinct personalities. I can’t even understand their language but somehow they still find a way to bend me to their own little desires weather it be a candy they find in my purse or smiling their biggest smile at me which is sign language for “please take a photo of me”. As we’ve discussed, kids here LOVE taking pictures.
I don’t want to waste my blog taking about how in need these kids are because you know already and there are too many happy and precious stories to share that will make you smile so I’d rather tell those. But, because someone reading this may be able to help I will include a list of things that they are in dire need of and if you can help in any way it would be greatly appreciated. This list is for the children of Prisilla’s Home Care Orphanage in Cross Roads for children infected or affected by HIV/AIDS:
• wash rags
(They don’t use tissues or wipes, they use wash rags to clean their little noses and their little buts. At the time we use one towel for all the kids’ noses which only spreads sicknesses. It would be great if each child could have his/her own. There are 32 children.)
• food
(Specifically mealie meal, rice, chicken, butternut, potatoes, milk, sugar, bread, eggs, lunch meat)
• uniforms for the 9 school aged children
(All school children even at public schools must wear them. They cost about $40 each)
• educational games, toys, and teaching supplies
• Household supplies
(Toilet paper, dishwashing liquid, disinfectant, HANDSOAP, washing powder, etc)

Now the great news is, if you are reading this blog you probably know me and therefore have probably donated to this cause already. So, I’d like you to know that because of your generosity we were able to give the kids some wonderful Easter gifts this year! I used some of the money that you donated to buy lots of cool colorful educational but fun toys for the kids. Before now there were no toys in the orphanage. The kids played with their shoes or with trash. I was also able to purchase a whole big bundle of toilet paper, 10 kgs of mealie meal for porridge in the mornings, 5kgs of washing powder, and some disinfectant for the house. I tried to take pictures of the kids faces when I showed them the toys but they were so excited that they were jumping all over me and squealing with delight it was hard to focus and take the pictures. Now THAT is a great feeling! Putting smiles like that on kids faces… its indescribable. So from me, from the kids, from the workers, and from the other volunteers THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone that donated and helped make these kids Easter so amazing. Thank you for your generosity and thoughtfulness. We appreciate it. And you are loved from all the way on this side of the world.
This week I plan on buying finger paint and using recycled paper to let the kids make finger paintings. So, also, thank you in advance for the opportunity to do so.
I love you all! Thanks for reading!

No comments: