Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Just Arriving

I just arrived at my house. I am sitting in my little room on my bed typing this blog in Microsoft Word because there is no internet access in this house. I can’t really describe the way I’m feeling right now because everything just seemed to happen so fast. One minute I was at my grandpa’s house surrounded by my family and eating barbeque, now all of a sudden I am in Africa, all alone, sitting on a bed in a strange room that quite possibly may be my home for the next 3 weeks. It is scorching in here. I totally forgot about the part where there is no heat or air conditioner in this country. In the living room there are two people from a country I can not pin point speaking a language I do not recognize. I tried making small talk with them but all I got was that they’ve been here for ten days and will probably be here for about ten more. They aren’t very friendly, definitely not South African. We didn’t even get to the name portion of the conversation before the awkwardness became so thick in the room that I almost choked, so I decided to come back to the comfort of my cozy little room. There is another girl here too but she is sleeping. I only saw her coming out of the bathroom when I was coming into the house. Because I don’t have my American luxuries such as my cell phone or clock I have no idea what time it actually is. But, I think its around 12am. My flight got in at 10pm so that seems about right… I’m itching so bad already. I have the window open to let in a little breeze. My friend Kate says tomorrow is going to be even hotter… I need to invest in a fan.
The journey from the states was actually pretty smooth. The 15 hour flight to Jo’burg didn’t seem so long. It felt like maybe 8 hours. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get a business class seat- it would have been nice, but I am just grateful that I had a seat at all. However, for some reason I was the most uncomfortable on this flight than I’ve ever been. No matter what I did I just could not get comfortable. Neither could the two girls beside me though so we kind of made a joke of it. Eventually we made it to Jo’burg and I had 3 hours to catch my next flight which was to Cape Town. I was really nervous about arriving in Cape Town because I didn’t know if Pastor Vusi would be there to pick me up. But, he was right there waiting with a big hug and even bigger smile when I came through those glass doors. I immediately felt a huge sense of ease.
I wish I could describe how different the air is here. As soon as I walked off the plane the air hit me and I began to smile. (Here you walk straight off the plane into the outside not into a tunnel that connects to the airport. You have to walk into the airport after getting off the plane.) The air is heavier and you can feel that you are near the ocean because of its quality. It’s not humid- that’s definitely not the word for it. It’s more like little particles of the ocean linger in the air as to always remind you by its texture and smell that you are in the unique and beautiful city of Cape Town. That’s what I was greeted by as I walked off the plane and it was so familiar and comfortable. The feeling that I got upon my arrival this time was much different than the other times. It didn’t feel like the excitement of being on holiday in a place that I love, it felt like the comfort of being somewhere so familiar after working my butt off to get here for so long. I knew exactly where I was going. I recognized my environment completely and I found myself giving others direction and suggestions of things to do while they are here.
Pastor Vusi bought two people to the airport with me. One person I knew and the other I did not. The girl’s name was Kate and this was my first time meeting her, but we definitely hit it off and I’m very excited to get to know her better and build a friendship. Of course she questioned me about America and how she could get there almost the entire car ride lol. The other person he bought was a guy whom I have met several times but I still cannot remember his name. It is something that is quite hard to pronounce.
Back to the housing situation- this is what happened: I am supposed to be staying at a house that belongs to a woman named Hazel, but she said my room wouldn’t be available until April 1st. So, she made arrangements for me to stay in a house right down the road from her for this month. But, when I was at the Jo’burg airport I got an email from her saying that my room is now available immediately and that I could come directly there. But, I chose to just come to this house because I knew they were expecting me. I am supposed to go meet with her tomorrow morning so we will sort everything out and I will know whether or not I’m staying here or going there. I will probably end up staying here though because I already paid a portion of my monthly charge.
It’s weird because I am tired, but at the same time I’m too uneasy to sleep. I am anxious for tomorrow so that I can sort out my living situation and start to unpack and stuff. Im also going to buy a little prepaid cell phone so that I can keep in touch with Pastor Vusi and the rest of South Africa more easily. Like any true American I am so excited and ready to get to work at the school immediately. And like any true African Pator Vusi told me that this week I need to rest and visit and have tea and get accommodated to my new environment. He and some other people are going to come visit around 12 noon tomorrow, which in African time will probably end up being around 3. I’m sure we will have tea and maybe even a meal together too. I do not want to go grocery shopping until I know for sure that this is where I’ll be staying. I’m sure that tomorrow will be filled with lots of tea drinking and greetings in various languages. From Hazel, to Lee, to Pastor Vusi, to my beloved Mpho I have so much tea drinking to do lol. But, you know that’s one of my favorite things about this culture- the time and value placed on people coming together, having tea and conversing. Tomorrow is going to be a beautiful day.
I guess the best way to describe my feeling right now is a deer in headlights. I am just in shock that this is all happening. I know what it feels like! You know when you first get the keys to your very own apartment after moving away from your parents and everyone helps you get all moved in and then that night you hug them and kiss them good bye then shut the door, walk over to a box in the least cluttered area of the tiny apartment, look around, hear the complete silence, and realize ‘Oh my God… this is where I live’. That’s how I feel except multiplied by one million. Instead of walking from the door to the box I flew across the Atlantic. And instead of moving to a tiny apartment alone I moved to the African continent, but you get my drift. Anyway, even since sitting here typing this I feel a lot better. The shock is kind of dissipating, the breeze coming through the window is a little cooler so its not as hot, and I can feel a sense of peace settling within me. I think I will be able to fall asleep after all. I’m going to read a little more of my book first though.
So I guess the point of this blog entry is: I’m here safe and sound. And, I didn’t realize this until I got to the airport, but this is the craziest thing I have ever done. I can’t wait to see where this journey is going to lead me.

Also, I feel kind of weird about leaving the window open even thought we have an electric gate around the house and there are bars on the window, but I just cant survive this heat without at least a little breeze.

No comments: